In the middle of winter, a malfunctioning furnace can cause a lot of stress for homeowners. Around 30% of furnace-related issues involve a running furnace that fails to produce heat. At Authority Heating & Cooling, we do recommend some basic upkeep you can do to keep your furnace system running correctly.
Troubleshooting Steps to Identify the Issue
Following a series of troubleshooting steps is essential to identify the issue of a furnace running but no heat;
- Check the thermostat for any malfunctions. Set your thermostat to the desired temperature and the fan to “auto” or “on.” If the thermostat functions correctly, move on to the next step.
- Inspect the pilot light. If it is not lit, relight it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If the pilot light continues to go out, call Authority Heating & Cooling. We have the tools, training, and equipment to fix a broken pilot light on a furnace.
- Change the filter. A clogged air filter is another common issue that can cause a furnace to run without producing heat. A dirty filter restricts airflow, preventing the furnace from generating heat. Check the filter and replace it if necessary.
If the above steps do not resolve the issue, there may be problems with the blower motor or ignition system. These are more complex issues that a trained technician should address. Ignoring these problems can lead to further damage or safety hazards.
Professional Solutions to Restore Heat in Your Furnace
Regular furnace maintenance is essential to prevent breakdowns and maintain optimal performance.
Here are some furnace maintenance tips to keep in mind:
- Schedule regular furnace inspections: Regular inspections by a professional technician can identify any potential issues before they become significant problems. This can help prevent unexpected breakdowns and costly repairs.
- Importance of thermostat calibration: A properly calibrated thermostat ensures accurate temperature control and efficient operation of your furnace. Regular calibration ensures that your furnace provides the proper heat to keep your home comfortable.
- Signs of a malfunctioning furnace: Look out for symptoms such as strange noises, inconsistent heat, frequent cycling, or a sudden increase in energy bills. These may indicate a problem with your furnace that requires professional attention.
- Improve furnace efficiency: Regularly clean or replace filters to ensure proper airflow and prevent dust and debris from clogging the system. Additionally, sealing air leaks in your home can help improve furnace efficiency by preventing heat loss.
If you are dealing with heat loss in your home, call Authority Heating & Cooling today. Our experts are ready to help with all your heating and cooling needs.